Powered By Blogger

Busy week!

We have had a busy week! I bought a new camera- a Nikon DSLR, D-5300. It is VERY nice and we are gradually becoming good friends :-) I have been working on If Monet Grew Hydrangeas. I started an eight week digital photography course on Monday night. I am old and frail and need a rest!!!

Here is the new camera. DH also gave me my Christmas present early- a 90mm Tamron macro lens!
I am loving it and learning a LOT! You have been warned... I may be showing you my lame attempts at stunning photography if and when I become more proficient and if and when I get brave!

And here is Monet and his hydrangeas to date. Still lots of stitching to do.
Closeup of some of the stitches. Some floret centres have French knots

Just a different section from a bit farther away

Much, but not quite all of the little piece. The brilliant blue is a bit overzealous. It is much subtler in reality!
I have been torn between loving "Monet" and wondering what I was thinking. I DO like the idea and as I quilt it, I am becoming fonder. We shall see what my students think of it tomorrow. Stay tuned! If nothing else, it is a great exercise in patience and in free motion technique. I have used a million different colours and weights of threads and have changed spools a zillion times! I am working on my 10,000 hours toward becoming proficient at free motion! That is what DH says I need to do ;-)

As for the camera and the class, it is MOST enjoyable. I LOVE digital photography. It is MY thing! I have been flying by the seat of my semi clever pants up till now. Now, I HOPE our esteemed instructor can pound some sound techniques and information into this very old dog's tired old brain. I am certainly motivated and trying VERY hard! This week, I am the WIP! Thought I would share this on the needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com. Check it out. There is already some interesting work posted there!

5 comments:

  1. For sure you will get a badge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm about this all - and your photos have always been very good and clear - could they still get better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Canon Rebel Eos with two lenses but have never taken a course. I need to though as I really don't know how to use it to full potential.
    Love the hydrangeas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love my Nikon 5300 too. Good choice. Loving the Hydrangeas. Are you ready to part with the one I loved last year yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you:) I have often thought about getting a new camera but I know it would be wasted on me.

    ReplyDelete